The Hong Kong Schools Debate Federation is co-founded by a group of former debaters. It aims to provide a transparent, fair and impartial debating platform for all schools in Hong Kong. In an age abounding with chaotic information and delusions, debate education activities are of paramount importance. To safeguard freedom of speech is one of the two causes. Then comes the need to advance critical thinking skills of students, hence infusing our civic society with rational thinking ethos. It is hoped a new generation can be nurtured, who always see right from wrong and stand with reasons to convince others.
Our goals of hosting debate competition are as follows:-
1. Determined by debaters, participation in name of schools
Governed by former debaters of various sectors, this competition offers a debater-oriented platform facilitating discussion of all issues. No political censorship, all for the good of safeguarding freedom of speech and academic viewpoints. Every stakeholder or participant has his voice in setting motions and rules, as well as making changes.
2. Sustaining reforms, progressing with time
This competition rejuvenates the long-standing debating activities among Hong Kong schools. With events across various zones, new elements can be introduced, breaking up conventional oligopolies. Age-old settings will be restructured, so be the events and rules that favor insiders only.
3. Checks by professionals, training for and towards elites
Apart from former debaters, this competition invites scholars, institutions and organizations of various sectors to oversee its structure. These checks help to enhance academic level of events and effectiveness of the virtual training that follows. The core aim is to foster young talented parliamentarians.
4. Study for the future, reciprocating society
News coverage and comments are to be taken up from professional perspectives. Elements pertaining to current affairs and social exposure will be included. This learning experience will add to the accrued benefits for all participants. The general public can also learn more about and gain better exposure to the significance of debating activities.
5. Explore your senses, search for your world
Complementing the competition, there will be a series of workshops, talks and seminars on developments of debating activities around the world. The initiatives can promote cross country communication and exchanges with schools abroad.
Characteristics of this competition
1. Pervasive and for all. No upper limit is set for the number of participants. All secondary schools in Hong Kong will be invited. Easy access by the general public is enabled through news coverage and post event comments.
2. Joint decisions by schools. Motions are set by both the Federation and all participating schools. Fixtures and rules are so designed as to emphasis reactions of debaters on spot.
3. Ascending challenges. Each eliminating round will come with tougher motions and rules, training up debaters in steps over time.
4. Appraisals by professionals. To ensure fairness, experienced academics, former debaters and social personalities will be invited as event judges.
5. Sustained learning. On-site comments and workshops will complement all events, further optimizing learning experience. Eliminated participants can re-enter the race again in “knock-out” groups.
6. Achievements manifested. Endorsement initiatives are in place: Best Debater. Most Valued Debater, Glamorous big stage for the final elimination round, media coverage, etc.